FAQs for Owners

How much shall I charge in rent for my property?

There are no hard and fast rules for rental pricing. There are many things to consider before deciding price, such as, ideal rental seasons, proximity to a city centre or business district, transport routes and school zones. The condition of your property is also a factor including; landscaping, if you have a pool, quality and type of appliances, such as, laundry facilities, dishwashers or fridge freezers. You should also factor in whether you are going to accept pets or not.

CBS Property offers a free no obligation rental appraisal to all prospective landlords to help you make this decision.

How long is a lease period / term?

The most typical lease periods/terms are 6 or 12 months. However, here at CBS Property Group we like to consider all options and allow for flexibility with tenants and landlords. Especially considering the peak rental seasons of the year and what will encourage the best rental return for our clients.

Shall I allow pets in my property?

There are of course pros and cons to allowing pets into your investment property, we have all heard horror stories, but these are actually very rare.

There is a huge demand for pet-friendly properties! A well fenced pet-friendly property will increase the pool of prospective tenants and could reduce the number of days your property remains empty. Pet-friendly properties in some areas are in such high demand that this could increase the weekly rental income.

If you do decide to allow pets in your property “Special Terms” will be written into the contract to cover things such as number, type of pets, additional cleaning and fumigation of the property on vacate.

Things to consider:

  • Apartment complexes may have existing rules in their by-laws regarding the type and size of pets allowed.
  • Local Councils also have their own conditions with regards to pets, which are very important to be aware of when choosing new tenants.
  • You may need to adjust your landlord’s insurance to accommodate pets in the property.
  • A tenant can request permission for a pet during a tenancy and it is your right to refuse.

Can I rent my property furnished?

The simple answer is yes, however, this very much narrows the number of potential tenants as most people will already have furniture or may not share your taste.

For student accommodation or short term rentals, renting with basic furniture can be a benefit, however, you do need to take into account wear and tear on these items.

Can I increase the rent in the middle of a lease period?

The rental rate set in the lease agreement will hold throughout the lease term unless there is a special provision allowing a rental increase in your tenancy agreement. If not, at the end of the term, you must provide tenants written notice of the intended increase.

Should I have Landlord Protection Insurance?

Here at CBS Property Group we require all properties to be covered by landlord insurance. We  regularly work with a number of providers such as ALI Australian Landlord Insurance, Terri Scheer and EBM. Please check that you choose the appropriate policy for your property, policies can differ in cover in the event of tenant default/rent arrears, pet damage, accidental or malicious damage.

What can I expect from a “good” tenant’?

At a basic level, a “good” tenant is one that pays the rent consistently on time and maintains the property to a reasonable standard.
In the vast amount of cases, you can expect a positive experience renting your property. Many tenants are seasoned renters and understand the importance of upholding the terms and conditions of their contract.

What is the chance my tenant will default on rental payments?

CBS Property Group undertake extensive background checks to pre-qualify all prospective tenants, including; checking references from previous landlords and letting agencies, calling employers and checking ID on national databases.
However, there is of course, a small risk with any business or investment that there may be problems, whether due to an honest, sudden change in circumstances such as an illness, or a malicious act.
The issue of “bad” tenants is often related to unsustainable exceptions and or poor communication of tenant or landlords requirements. CBS’ Property Managers treat all issues of maintenance with the highest level of care and customer service to ensure these problems do not arise.

What if my tenant does not pay on time?

Even the best tenants may have a slip from time to time, usually due to something as simple as a banking error, and some tenants find it challenging to pay rent occasionally during their tenancy. CBS Property Group has a structure of timed actions, in line with RTA rules, and systems in place to manage these issues; such as daily communication and reminders of arrears.

The lease term is coming to an end, what are my options?

At the end of the lease, you have a couple of options. If you are happy that the tenant is looking after the property and the rent is being paid on time, then the typical choice is to offer a renewal of the lease for a further 6 or 12 months. If circumstances have changed or you are unhappy, you can instruct us to request that the tenant vacate the property.
The end of a tenancy period is also the ideal opportunity to consider a change in the rental price.

What are the basic responsibilities of the owner of a rental property?

Your main obligation as the owner of a rental property is to maintain the building structure properly so that it meets all habitability requirements. You are responsible for ensuring your property meets the safety requirements set out in the Building Code of Australia and we will help you ensure that your property meets these requirements. These requirements include but are not limited to; structural safety, heat, water and electricity, smoke alarms, sufficient water-proofing and a sanitary indoor environment. For more details regarding your obligations please refer to your management agreement or contact CBS Property Group.

How often will you inspect my property?

At the beginning of a tenancy, an entry condition report will be made outlining the state of the property and detailing any existing damage.

During a lease period, CBS Property will carry out routine inspections a minimum of twice per year.

These routine visual inspections are to check how the habitable areas or the property is being maintained by the tenant. A report will be issued to the owner. This report could also include suggestions for any preventative or seasonal maintenance that might be required, such as gutter cleaning or air-conditioner servicing.

At the end of a tenancy, a full vacate inspection will be performed which you will be invited to attend if you wish.
During this inspection we use the ‘entry’ condition report to ensure that the property is handed back to us in the same condition they received it (fair wear and tear excepted). If any damage is found or additional cleaning is required, we make arrangements for the necessary deductions from the tenants’ rental bond according to the RTA Guidelines.

I want to sell my rental property, what do I do?

It is quite simple, just contact us and we will talk you through the process. Whether you wish to sell the property with the tenants in place or sell with vacant possession, we can help you find a buyer for your property. The tenancy agreement is a legal document and a number of procedures must be adhered to.

FAQs for Tenants

I’d like to get a pet, what do I do?

We can ask the owner if they would be happy for you have a pet in the property. Please follow this link to the Tenancy Information page where you will find the pet application form. Please note that it is the owner’s right to refuse.

My air conditioner needs a service what do I do?

Air conditioner servicing is considered to be general maintenance. Please follow this link to the Tenancy Information page where you will find the maintenance request form.

Tenants are also required to care for the air conditioners in the property, by cleaning filters regularly and minimising the risk of damage to the internal or external units.

What do I need to do with my smoke alarms?

A smoke alarm is required to emit a warning signal before the battery fails, usually a chirping sound. If you hear this sound it is your responsibility to change the battery.

It is the responsibility of a third party company that has been engaged by CBS Property Group to test and service your smoke alarms at the beginning of every new lease agreement that has been signed. If you are not sure if they are due for a service or if you are worried that they might be broken or failing, please feel free to submit a maintenance request.

Please remove any visible dust or cobwebs from around the alarm every 3 months, dust and dirt buildup on the sensors can cause them fail.

Smoke alarms save lives! Under no circumstances are you to remove or disable the alarm or remove the batteries unless you are changing it.

For more information about smoke alarms, please click here.

What is considered to be an emergency repair?

If you have an emergency such as a major leak or a dangerous electrical issue, something which is putting you in immediate danger or is causing serious damage to the property, you can call a qualified and licensed company to make the repairs.

If it occurs within office hours, please call us first, and we can call someone for you.

Brisbane (07) 3252 2228
Gladstone (07) 4972 1582
Jade 07 3262 8899

Please follow this link to the Emergency Trades page where you will find recommended emergency repairers and a more comprehensive description of what constitutes an emergency repair.

Can the owner of the property raise my rent?

Unless there are special terms for rent increases in your tenancy agreement, the owner of the property can only increase the rental price at the end of your lease, giving you the option to accept the increase, negotiate the price or vacate the property. This would be sent to you in writing and will come from our office.

What happens if I break a window?

Accidental breakages, such as broken windows, should be reported to CBS Property Group and are to be paid for by you. We are happy to assist you with the repairs or can offer recommended companies in your area. For more information about who pays for repairs please follow this link to the RTA website.

I need to break my lease what do I do?

We understand that circumstances change and sometimes this is out of your control, however, a tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract and there are procedures to follow to break it. Please follow this link to the Tenancy Information page where you will find a breakdown of these procedures and links to your rights and obligations.

Do I need to get insurance or does the owner cover this?

The owner of the property will have insurance, however, your belongings are NOT covered in these policies. To cover your belongings against theft or damage it is your responsibility to get your own contents insurance.

Do I pay the water bill?

The payment of water bills differs from property to property, this should be covered in your tenancy agreement. We also have a handy factsheet on the Tenancy Information page.

Please call us if you have any further questions.
Brisbane (07) 3252 2228
Gladstone (07) 4972 1582
Jade 07 3262 88 99

Can I get a housemate to share the rent?

In theory yes, however, any additional tenants must complete our application process and be signed onto the lease agreement. They must meet our eligibility criteria to be approved by the owner, just as you did when you applied. The owner has the right to decline any applications they deem unsuitable.

How often do you inspect the property?

Over the lifetime of your tenancy, the agent is required to conduct the first routine inspection 3-4 months in and then at lease twice a year thereafter. We will contact you with an entry notice at least 7 days prior to the inspection. You have the right to be present at inspections but this is not required.

Tenancies are also required to have an Entry Condition Inspection which outlines the state of the property prior to you moving in. An Exit Condition Inspection is also required to provide a fair comparison for the vacating tenants and outline any additional items that need attention.

I’m locked out what can I do?

If you live in a managed apartment you may be able to contact the building manager or caretaker, however, there may be a charge for a call out and/or replacement keys.

If you are locked out during business hours, please call the us and we may be able to lend you our set or help you find a locksmith. If a locksmith is required all charges including call out fees will be passed onto you.

I can’t pay my rent, what shall I do?

If you are having difficulty paying your rent or you can foresee that you might, please contact us straight away. Please do not wait until you have missed the payment.
Please be aware that CBS Property Group has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to rental issues, however, there are rules and guidelines that we have to follow before we take any action, so the sooner you talk to us, the more time we have to help you find a solution.

What do I need to do about vacating my property at the end of my lease?

Please follow this link to the Tenancy Information page where you will find all the information you need about the vacate procedures, including contact details for recommended bond cleaners and garden services.

Didn’t Find the Answer?

If you still have a burning question and you couldn’t find the answer here, please fill in the form below and we will get back to you as quickly as possible.

Alternatively, please call the office – Brisbane (07) 3252 2228 – Gladstone (07) 4972 1582 – Jade 07 3262 88 99